The Interview Format

In this video, Brian interviews Professor Steve Rolandi. Steve has been an adjunct professor at Pace for the past 15 years, and has a wealth of experience working in and around Public Administration.

Interviews are a great way to introduce students to new content and people. With a little preparation and a little postproduction, a basic interview can cover a lot of intellectual ground in a short amount of time. And, as my experience with Steve demonstrates, they are fun to make.

A few notes on this video:

• • It is black and white because I liked the “old schoolhouse” background I found to use for the green screen plate (it was black and white).
  • • Speaking of green screen plates: it’s helpful to choose your background before you shoot. Multiple camera angles and lighting effects add to the complexity here.
  • • Discerning viewers might notice that our eye-lines are slightly off. This is a result of moving Brian and Steve closer together in post. We were over six feet apart when we shot this interview due to COVID restrictions. This change was possible due to using a green screen.
  • • I regret that my mic cable is visible and Steve’s shirt collar is bunched up. It’s hard to shoot an interview with no production staff! Our great OLC student staff members were on a summer break.

Thanks for participating in this interview, Steve!

Ready to try recording an interview? Book a consultation or production time in the OLC studios. We look forward to working with you!

Skip to toolbar